Fownhope is located on the B4224, approximately 20 minutes from Hereford, Ledbury and Ross on Wye in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Bowens is located at the edge of the village, with grazing land on two sides. We are immediately opposite the church and a short (< 5 minute) walk to the two village pubs. Numerous public footpaths, taking in the Wye River, orchards, woodland and grazing land start from the village and are accessible on foot from The Bowens.
Nearby Points of Interest
- The River Wye (1 mi)
- Set in the heart of England and designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the Wye Valley follows the River Wye from Hereford to Chepstow covering 72 miles. A wonderful river for fishing, canoeing or just to enjoy while walking and picnicing. Canoe rental can be arranged from a location approx 2 miles from The Bowens and another in Hereford centre.
- Hereford City and Cathedral (7.4 mi)
- Hereford lies approximately 8 miles from The Bowens Hotel and 16 miles from the Welsh Border. It is a cathedral town with a medieval bridge over the River Wye.
There are many medieval buildings and the Old House (1621), All Saints Church, Kilpeck Church and Booth Hall are worth a visit. The cathedral, established in the 7th century, is an important part of the town. It has manuscripts and early books, including its Mappa Mundi, a 13th Century view of the world on vellum.
- The Wye Valley Way (1 mi)
- A 136 mile (218km) walk of startling contrasts from ravine gorge cloaked in woodland, through meadow and orchard, to rugged and remote uplands. Follow the Wye through the battle scarred Anglo-Welsh borders; it runs from Chepstow to Plynlimon via Hereford and Ross-on-Wye so virtually goes past The Bowens front door!
- Ross-on-Wye (8 mi)
- Ross on Wye nestles in the South Herefordshire countryside and is an ancient town with panoramic views overlooking the River Wye. The town sits on a high on a cliff and has peaceful gardens and excellent walks beside the River.
Ross has a long and varied history and first appears in records of 1016 and has a 13th Century Church and a Market House from the 17th Century. Ross-on-Wye boasts to having been one of the first recorded attempts to beautify a town for the benefit of its residents.
- Lands End to John O'Groats cycle route (0 mi)
- The Bowens is located directly on one of the most popular Lands End to John O'
Groats cycle routes.
- Belmont Golf Course (10 mi)
- The Belmont golf course is situated just 10 miles away (driving distance)
- Ross on Wye Golf Club (10 mi)
- Two Park, Gorsley, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 7UT
Ross on Wye is a woodland course carved out of an oak and silver birch forest. Facilities: Driving range, Golf pro shop, Changing rooms, Golf clubhouse, Bar, Food available.
- Left Bank Canoe Hire, Hereford (8 mi)
- Left Bank Canoe Hire provides River Wye canoeing trips, canoe hire and kayak rental. Our canoe centre is situated on the River Wye in Hereford city centre.
The Wye is ideal for both canoeing and kayaking. We offer canoe hire, canoe trips, river guides for groups who would like training or for an instructor to manage their canoe experience.
- Hereford Canoe Hire (2 mi)
- Hereford Canoe Hire offers a variety of trips from 2 hour paddling 'tasters' to full and even multiple day trips and is located at the Lucksall Caravan park just two miles from the Bowens.
- Bicycle Hire (10 mi)
- To cycle in Hereford town centre, you can rent bikes from Hereford Council, http://www.haloleisure.co.uk/images/stories/Bike_Hire_DL_leaflet_10_05_12.pdfHiring bikes in the Forest of Dean and cycling off-road is a fun alternative to the city. http://www.pedalabikeaway.co.uk/
- The Three Choirs Festival (9 mi)
- The Three Choirs is a historic festival held every year, which has been ongoing since the 18th century. It is held alternate years in Hereford (2012), Gloucester and Worcester and is one of the worlds most oldest musical festivals.
- Hereford Food Festival (9 mi)
- The Hereford Food festival is in its third year running. It will be held at the Hereford Race Course.
- Eat Sleep Live Herefordshire (0 mi)
- Local event, dining, accommodation and entertainment information
- West End Stores and Post Office (0.5 mi)
- Convenient and well stocked village shop selling newspapers, tobacco, alcohol, groceries and fresh produce. Also full service Post Office and cash dispenser. Open most days 8am to 8pm, 4pm on Sundays.
- Wye Leisure Spa (0.25 mi)
- Wye Leisure is a private health and leisure club but the spa is open to non-members for a variety of beauty and relaxation treatments and packages. The entrance fee to the spa includes use of the pools, saunas and jacuzzis. They also have a coffee shop, bar and restaurant. The River Bed Restaurant is open to non-members.
Please see their website for further details.
- The Green Man (0.25 mi)
- Fantastic local gastro pub with great food and excellent, friendly service. Using locally sourced ingredients, experienced Head Chef James and his team offer a tantalising menu for both lunch and dinner, with something to suit all tastes. Good selection of beers and a wines. Make reservations well in advance as they get very busy!
- The New Inn (0.4 mi)
- A friendly family country pub with a wide range of good beers and a warm atmosphere. A pub for all seasons, it has a welcoming interior and a large lawned garden area. They serve food at lunch time (12pm - 2pm) Monday to Friday, but will provide evening meals for groups if arranged in advance. Please call 01432 860350 for further information/reservations.
- Pritchards Butcher (0.1 mi)
- Top quality, family-run business and suppliers to The Bowens B&B, wonderful bacon, sausages and beef. Excellent steaks for the BBQ!
Tel: 01432 860236
M5 exit 8(30.0mi, 48.3km)
From the M5 take the M50 exit, exit 8, towards South Wales/Ross. At the end of the M50 take the 2nd exit from the roundabout onto A449 (marked to Ledbury). After approx 2 miles turn left onto B4224 marked Fownhope. Follow the B4224 for approx 5 miles and The Bowens will be on the right as you enter the village (just before the church).
Leave Hereford city centre via the A438 (towards Ledbury), turn right onto Eign Road B4224, signposted to Fownhope. Follow the B4224 for approx 6 miles to Fownhope. Drive through the village; the Bowens is located at the far end of the village, on the left just after the church.
Take the A449 towards Ross-on-Wye. After approx 9 miles turn right onto the B4224 towards Fownhope and follow this road for approx 6 miles. The Bowens is located on the right as you enter the village, just before the church.